Sunday, January 28, 2007

Two weeks with no laundry

...well not really. I did wash the family's clothes last weekend, and this weekend, too, but have been too down to discuss. This weekend I can see a target date ahead, the perimenopausal rollercoaster will stop in a few days and let me off for some cotton candy. Blech -- maybe I'd rather have one of those really lucky days at the shooting gallery where you walk away with a big yellow smiley face pillow. Anyway -- So, yesterday, 3 loads, today 3 loads, including the post-Sunday afternoon sheets -- somethings can still surprise me in this mood. No, not the sheets, the towels. It won't do to have the post-glow confusing one type of linen with another. No lying.

The other blog, Tangled Swans, got its first comment two weeks ago, too; I had been trolling for poet/moms and found a few/posted a bit/was commented upon. I think that scared me off for a while. Glad I've got the laundry going here in the background where nobody knows the trouble I've seen. Just us little ol' housewives here hiding behind the hot sudsy tubs. Also, class has started, and that takes up my extra writing time:

SPEAK LOW Kurt Weill / Ogden Nash

Speak low when you speak, love
Our summer day withers away too soon, too soon
Speak low when you speak, love
Our moment is swift, like ships adrift, we're swept apart, too soon
Speak low, darling, speak low
Love is a spark, lost in the dark too soon, too soon
I feel wherever I go that tomorrow is near, tomorrow is here and always too soon
Time is so old and love so brief
Love is pure gold and time a thief
We're late, darling, we're late
The curtain descends, ev'rything ends too soon, too soon
I wait, darling, I wait
Will you speak low to me, speak love to me and soon

Nash was the lyricist for the Broadway musical One Touch of Venus, collaborating with librettist S. J. Perelman and composer Kurt Weill. The show included the notable song "Speak Low (When You Speak Love)." Performed by Kenny Baker/Martin, Billie Holiday and Andy Bey (on whose record, American Song, I first heard this one).

No comments: