Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Milk Bottle and Poem

Okay: So here's a link to a blog by Justin Clayton, a painter who does a painting a day for his blog, "Daily Paintings." Very cool. Reminds me of my poem a day resolutions. I hope he's more successful than I am. The painting I'm including here is his Milk Bottle painting, which I needed to go with my funny story about moms and milk (last post). You can go to his blog if you want to buy his paintings. He seems to have the most paintings about chocolate and food and candy. Which makes sense. I think I might ask him to paint something with laundry in it. Wouldn't that be great?

Okay: So here's a poem about milk. By Anonymous (I think you can tell why)


Carnation milk is the best in the land;
Here I sit with a can in my hand.
No tits to pull, no hay to pitch,
You just punch a hole in the son of a bitch

And for people who come to my blog (where ARE you?) expecting serious domestic scholarship: Here's a link to Tory Dent's poem "Black Milk" as read by Adrienne Rich on ATC, January 3, 2006. And, here's a link to AAP's web page about Paul Celan, whose lovely poem "Fugue of Death" opens with the words "Black milk of daybreak we drink it at evening / we drink it at midday and morning we drink it at night." The poem goes on to offer a stark evocation of life in the Nazi death camps.
I'm still looking for happy, not silly, milk poems. Maybe I'll have to write one.

And for those of you who have read this far, a special treat. A video of Jimmy Stewart reading a "No Milk Poem" on the Johnny Carson show. Now this is the true miracle of the internet. That I could find such a thing.

"Life's truest truth, it's that truth itself / unravels in ways that reveal less not more sense or comfort." Tory Dent

No comments: