Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Clean in January

Laundry in the New Year started on Monday, New Year's Day, when Stella came with her new birthday shirt and stated she needed it clean to wear on the first day back to school. The tyranny of the new. So, at 5 pm, I started. 1 load cold colors (the Santa toilet set cover, poinsettia place mats, other Xmas linen). 1 load hot towels plus bleach. I don't use chlorine bleach except for towels, sheets (sometimes, the dreaded peri-menopausal sheets), Jackson's socks, monthly undies. I guess that's a lot of bleach. Ah. Well. 1 more load cold light, including the important new shirt. Thanks Patti for the new shirt for Stella, the beautiful new shirt. 1 more load hot whites, and into the dryer and into bed.

Today, January 2nd, the white load into the dryer. Mom did two of her own loads while I was at work. They bring their dirty laundry from their hotel in a rolling carry-on suitcase, carrying dirty clothes this time, not the computer and books and small zipper cases of pills and jewelry. Clothes that I never saw, as they were clean, dry, folded and tight back into their little suitcase by the time I got home from work. I did 1 more load warm colors, that would be Jackson's boxers, all the tie-dye tshirts and my old worn worn soft as silk jeans. So, grand total for the weekend that was really a Monday and Tuesday, to begin the New Year in the laundry of life, 5 loads. Not too bad. No sheets. Plus Mom's 2 makes 7. I'm taking credit.

Tomorrow Mom will make a cake.

No comments: